Monday, November 13, 2006

Rotations. 1 day down. 229 to go.

So I started a new chapter in my pharmacy life. Rotations. Not only that, but I get to start them with students that have been out learning thing for 6 months and while I have been sitting on my ass for 6 months. I'm a little behind and befudled compared to my peers...but that's ok, when they graduate, I'll make the people from 2008 look dumb. Haha.

The place I go is about as quaint a little town as you can get. I passed "Backwoods Taxidermy" before I pass "Dairy Queen"... a few properties down from "Dairy King".

The hospital is as small as small gets. I get there and they tell me that me and the other Rx student will split the hospital in half and monitor the whole hospital. While about 2 seconds away from having an anxiety attack, she tells us there are only 11 patients in the hospital. Yeah. 11. Wow.

So we fiddle around and become oriented to the joint before going out and taking a med hx for some random patient. That takes up 45 minutes and it's off to lunch. For some reason, they give us lunch for free. So I'm sitting there, eating my ribs, ham, potatoes, apple pie, pumpkin pie, rice, corn, and roll (hey, it's free) and this guy with a stethoscope goes, "Hey, you the new pharmacy students?" "Can you guys go review my Gent dose on Jane Doe upstairs? I started at 60mg q12 overnight, I'll let you guys do what's best."

This was a big WTF moment for me. Not only was a physician not breathing down my neck insinuating that I'm an imbecile, but he asked me to do something because he thought a pharmacist could handle it. So, I did it. With the patient's advanced age and decreased GFR, blah, blah, we decided to go with 80mg q 24 as a maintenence dose. Peak should be 4.5ish, trough, less than 0.5, but who cares, it's a UTI. I gave it to the physician, and then he thanked me. WOAH. It's the opposite of retail.

woah...dude

F' retail. Never again. Mark my words......unless they can buy me with lots of moolah. And Dave & Busters tokens.

1 Comments:

Blogger jenatasha said...

Hey, I just found your blog and LOVE IT! and I figured out who you were from the first entry - before I even got down to the 'getting prof fired' part.....Don't worry - I got your cover! Glad to hear you're going strong on your first rotation - sounds like you are doing great :)
-Jen

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home