Monday, November 06, 2006

Kentucky - hick, redefined.

I went to a football game this past weekend in Louisville. Yeah, my team lost, boohoo. But that's not the point of this post.

This weekend has redefied my understanding of the universe. Kentucky is the most redneck, hick-ass place on the planet, bar none. I used to think West Virginia was...oh no. I was wrong. Kentucky has given me an education.

I used to think I had an accent, but it turns out my "accent" is actually 70% Pittsburgh, 20% Midwestern, 10% Southern. In Kentucky, they speak 10% Southern, 90% Swahili.

I asked a guy which way to get to the stadium, I tell you no lie, he replies, over the course of about 1.5 seconds, "I tale, yeh, baback downheeyaw street, ride'n light, down'n Arby's, lef'n, there stad'm."

After literally about 45 seconds of explaination, I realized he said "Go down the street, right at the light, take a left at Arby's, and the stadium is right there."

I was amazed at Louisville the town. Hundreds of thousands of people, and nothing to do after 10PM. Not even a Dave & Buster's. At least they had these little road signs on the way out of the state that kept a real-time scorecard of the motor vehicle fatalities in 2006.

1 Comments:

Blogger DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

I know that accent. I was once at a rest stop on the Kentucky side of the river when a scary looking dude came up and asked me for an ax. I seriously couldn't understand why a serial killer would show up so unprepared until i realized he was actually asking for an aspirin.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home