Friday, July 20, 2007

Rotation VII: Mmmm...corporation smell....

Part I - Rotation (boring)
Part II - Viva Pinata
--------------------
Rotation number 7 was an elective rotation. "Elective" at WVU means something not involving actual drug therapy. I was excited.

I worked at UnitedBioSource. They do a motley assortment of things. The Morgantown branch focused on 3 things primarily.

First, they handled the Mylan clozapine prescription monitoring program. For those of you that have to call that mysterious number on the back of the brochure to report patient WBC and neutrophil counts before you can dispense the drug....that's who you called.

They also act as monitors for clinical trials. This means that they deal with all of the paperwork that goes into getting clinical trials off of the ground. 90% of the physicians who fill out paperwork do it wrong. UBC frequently has to proofread and mail things back to them even though the directions are clear as day. If a form says to fill out page 3...you should probably not leave it blank. This would not surprise any pharmacist reading this blog. What, you mean a physician is too lazy to actually follow the rules? Surely, you jest....

The odd thing is that 90% of the workers only make about $10/hour. I was the second most highly educated person in the building after the PharmD who was the main executive of the enitre branch. This made it an interesting rotation because I was bombarded with drug questions all day long. Everything to what would happen if you take drug X with clozapine to why is Grandma Tess constipated.

They are also coordinating the Tysabri pregnancy registry, too.

Like the Mylan rotation I got my own cubicle, phone, and PC with internet. When I had no specific task to accomplish, it was internet play time. This time there was no proxy blocking my internet abuse.

It's raining outside right now and I'm too lazy to go get my evaluation, but I got insanely high marks. This presentation I gave on Tysabri and MS apparently was mindblowing. I guess I was able to teach the folks there about things they've been confused about for months. That made me feel rather useful.

--------------------------------
Part II

Viva Pinata is this game for Xbox that I've been getting into recently. It's rated "E" meaning that it is appropriate for all ages. Heck, it's even got it's own Saturday morning TV show to scare children with. So I figure it's a good wholesome game. The reviews I've read indicate that it's a really immersive game where you basically play god. That sounds cool... so I picked it up.

So I start building my "garden"; a plot, roughly 100 ft by 100 ft, that I can grow plants on and raise animals. So I spend a good 30 minutes getting my plot nice and grassy...the next thing I know a worm shows up and wants to live in my garden. I'm thrilled. Then, via a combination of mashing buttons (who reads the instructions...) I learn that I can make the worm mate with another worm to form new, little baby worms. Awww, how cute.

So it has a list of shit I need to do before they have a kid. I need to grow more grass and build them a damned house. This takes me a good half hour. Then I spend another half hour trying to figure out how to get them to hump...I eventually figure it out. By this time, I now have snakes, butterflies, toads, and other animals visiting my garden. They decide to get it on....which apparently involves solving a maze (literally). So 1.5 hours later..I have a worm!

Being a new, happy parent, I decided to give him a name...I named my first worm child "Wiggly". I was proud of my accomplishment. *I* made a worm. I loved the little guy. Then the next thing I know...one of the fucking toads comes around and EATS MY FUCKING WIGGLY. I was pissed! I let out this little yelp of anger, "FUCK YOU!!!" My wife comes running in.."babe, you ok?!?!" I look up at her, "That god damn toad ate my Wiggly!!!"

So what do I do? I take out my shovel and I wack that damned toad 6 times until it died. Michael Vick would have been pleased. Oh yes...it felt good. Yet...I felt remorse. It was just a part of nature...it sucks...but its a necessity. In fact, in order for the TOADS to reproduce, they are required to eat a worm.

Then it hit me...WHY THE HELL IS THIS GAME RATED "E"?!?!

I don't want MY theoretical 5 year old playing this game. You have money grubbing hos that won't sleep with you until you buy them a house...heck the idea of animal sex in general...then you have murder being performed when one animal comes along and eats another animal you have spent hours trying to make...then the game allows you to perform acts of animal cruelty on the offending animal by allowing you to beat it until it dies from internal hemorrhaging. Hell, as you play the game you eventually get a sharp metal shovel you use to beat to death this native islander warrior looking dude that comes along to screw with your garden. This game needs to be rated "T" for teen AT LEAST.

The shit is hardcore....I mean...damn....I almost cried when that toad ate my sweet, innocent, defenseless Wiggly...

1 Comments:

Blogger Kingsley said...

LOL
The Xbox game story is great.

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home